HOW BANKRUPTCY CAN HELP WITH PAST DUE CHILD SUPPORT IN RI AND MA
A lost job, a pay cut, a second family and the birth of another child … a lot of life changes and unforeseen circumstances can make it difficult to pay child support. Unfortunately, once you get behind it can be very difficult to catch up and the longer you fail to pay, the more likely it is the state will take action by:
- Garnishing your wages (removing money from your paycheck before you receive it)
- Seizing your tax refund or your bank account
- Having you arrested and put in jail
- Taking away your driver's license (the loss of a driver's license can make it impossible to work – which makes it impossible to pay!)
Past due child support and state penalties become a vicious cycle… one that Providence bankruptcy lawyer John Simonian can help you put to an end.
If you've reached the end of your rope and you don't know where to turn, turn to our Rhode Island bankruptcy law firm and see how Attorney Simonian can help you get back in control of your life. Call 401-941-4800 to schedule a free initial consultation.
WHY CHILD SUPPORT DEBT IS DIFFERENT FROM OTHER DEBT
Parents have a legal and moral obligation to pay for their child's daily needs. If you cannot do so, the other parent may turn to taxpayer-funded state aid for help, which is something the state does not want. That's why past-due child support is treated differently from other debt and cannot be discharged in bankruptcy. But that does not mean bankruptcy won't help you.
HOW BANKRUPTCY CAN IMPROVE YOUR FINANCIAL SITUATION
- Filing for Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy will immediately stops wage garnishment and seizure of your assets.
- If you are having trouble paying child support because of large credit card debts or payday loans , Chapter 7 bankruptcy can relieve you of those debts, freeing up money you can use to pay down your child support bill.
- Chapter 13 debt reorganization helps you get more affordable monthly payments on all of your debt.
EVEN SMALL STEPS IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION CAN BRING GREAT RELIEF
Don't get discouraged! Bankruptcy can help your past due child support situation.
Contact Rhode Island bankruptcy lawyer John Simonian. He has helped many parents struggling with child support arrearages. He can advise you of your options and help you with a bankruptcy filing. He assists clients in both Rhode Island and Massachusetts.
Bankruptcy Lawyer for Rhode Island & MA.
376 Broadway Providence, RI 02909
phone: 401-941-4800 fax: 401-785-8313